Monday, October 3, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

This blog is meant for gardeners, and that means you!

What, you don't garden? You stumbled upon this blog because you like the thought of gardening but know nothing about it? Or maybe you've been gardening a long while, are even a master gardener? Whoever you are and however you garden, this blog is a community for all to discuss: how does your garden grow?

Everyone has a different concept of a 'garden.' I think of gardens as square plots of tilled soil where vegetables and sometimes flowers grow in clumps and rows. Now that I have my own home and must keep up with the Joneses I also consider the beds around my porch and along the perimeter of my house gardens, too. Others consider their whole yard their garden. What do you think of when you hear the word garden?

I live on a small piece of property in a developing neighborhood, so I have about 1/4 of an acre to do my gardening. I have a small raised box, about 4' x 4', where I plant vegetables, greens, and herbs every year. I also have areas in my yard around my house and near my short driveway where I have evergreen shrubs, mums, hostas, lillies, and other flowers and plants to keep my property looking nice. I've only recently begun growing herbs in my garden and have decided I'd like to build on to my raised bed. This spring I also bought an aloe plant and became the proud owner of a Christmas cactus, both plants I keep indoors. Next summer I'd like to also try potatoes, something I've never grown before on my own. I often have to fight with rabbits and insects and the past few summers have brought droughts in my area so it is hard to keep my grass, flowers, and edible plants healthy and pretty. Unlike most gardeners I love to weed my garden but have a hard time thinning plants.

How does your garden grow? Do you have plants in your yard or even in your house? What is your favorite part about gardening? What's the hardest, or what do you dislike doing? Do you wish for more land to grow things, or less?

No comments:

Post a Comment