Sunday, October 9, 2011

Planning Your Garden



Planning your garden can be a lot of work but it is totally worth it in the end. I have honestly never done as much planning as is suggested but after two years of vegetable gardening I can see the need to spend more time planning.

I looked at a few articles online, and one called How to Plan Your Vegetable Garden stuck out to me. The audio clip above, created by me, outlines four of what I deem to be the most important steps of planning.

Before planting my garden I always talk with my husband about what we'd like to plant based on what we'll eat and can, then I look at how much room we have. Next season I plan to rotate my plants and spend more time planning my growing space and timing my planting.

I always take lots of pictures of my garden and next season I plan to keep a blog about my garden. I can use pictures from this past season to make sure I rotate my plants and also to remind myself how big some plants get and how they seem to grow. I can also use it to keep track of what works and what doesn't with irrigation, mulching in my plants, and taking care of my soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment